Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Letter To My Future Children

Dear Children,

             I am not sure about what to say to you kids. I am only a teenager from the past writing to her future children. Anyways, I kinda feel the need to mention that my internet is shitty(if this word still considered a profanity in the future, please don't use the word or I'll make you kids wash your mouth with soap). I hope that if ever you kids find this in the depths of this long forgotten blog, this was a product of  boredom. I seriously don't know what to say to you, kids. What can I say to show how much I am proud of you? How much I want the best for you? How much I love you?

Still, even if my mind is a blur, I feel like I know exactly what I want to say to you.

To my sons, if you boys ever get into sports, that would be great. May I remind you that I will be that typical soccer mom, the one who cheers for you in the bleachers AND the one who gets worried as hell(sorry) when you guys get injured. If you ever choose video game over any outdoor activity, I will ground you. So if video games might be cooler than the ones we have in this era, I won't have bug-eyed, obese game addicts for sons.

Also, please learn that regardless of how fast times will be by then, it's still in fashion to respect girls. If you guys ever introduce me to your girlfriends, expect me to welcome that bitch(again, sorry)with raised eyebrows rather than open arms. Sorry. I want a girl who's perfect for you and if I see that(translation: ME) in her, then I would want some grand-kids, please. LOLJK(Laugh Out Loud Joke. Gosh. That sounded awkward). But please, be around twenty or thirty something with a stable career, your own house and car(maybe a flying one?)when you introduce me to your gal.

To my daughters, I hope you love fashion as much as I do. But most importantly, I hope you get to appreciate style more. After all, according to Yves Saint Laurent(Google--or whatever search engine is the rage then--him) "Fashion fades, but style is eternal".  And you girls are beautiful. Don't be insecure like me. The time you spend on obsessing a flaw could've been used in trying to be perfect you you could ever be. I hope you don't wear too much makeup, too. I want naturally beautiful inside and out daughters, not cake monsters

When it comes to boys, I just hope you won't commit the same mistakes I did: fall for the wrong guy; wait for nothing to happen; act like they're you're number 1 priority, etc. But I'm not too bad: I am almost 18 and I've never had a boyfriend and as much as possible, you girls should be the same, too. I know by then, you could be two and pregnant. More 12 year old girls are getting pregnant these days, I bet fetuses will be pregnant in your time. BUT PLEASE. DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID 'KAY. SAME GOES FOR YOUR BROTHERS. MAYBE BOYS COULD GET IMPREGNATED BY A GIRL IN THE FUTURE. OH DEAR.

To you kids combined, I hope you learn how to respect me. I don't want you kids to be mad at me and treat me harshly. Maybe I'll be strict to you kids, but it's only because I want you  kids to have the kind of guidance I wish I had and the complete kind of love I wish I could feel from my parents. I will be the best mother I can be. I will work hard to grant you kids a life I've never lived growing up and I will be there also when you need me. When you need a hug. When you need advise. When you feel the need to eat some home-cook meals, I will try to be there. Always.

Also, don't laugh or make weird faces  if I play my music. I've done this to my parents when they played their groove on and thinking about it now, I would feel immensely terrible if you laugh at the music I love.

Make goals, too. I want you kids to aspire higher. please bear in mind I didn't grow up rich and only had goals to keep me going. I wish you guys--though I know I have worked enough to keep you guys from the poverty I've experienced--will have goals to keep you going, too.

Don't argue with each other, too. Establish good relationships with each other regardless of your differences. One day, your father and I will be gone and you'll have no one else to depend but each other. My Dad told my siblings and me that all the time and it's very true.

My final advise for you kids is to be happy. I want you kids to feel genuinely happy with your lives and not experience the depression I did when I was your age. It's good to be sad, but depression is another thing. Don't get sucked into it. Life is beautiful and there are a ton of things to be happy about. Flying cars! Come on!

Okay. Just kidding. But still, be happy. And follow everything I say. I don't want you kids to feel the hurt and heartache of the life I Lived when I was your age. I don't want you kids to be the worst kind my parents had to encounter when they raised me. No mother wants to see their kids fail in life. I mean, I know I'm writing this as some sort of joke, but I really mean it when I say I don't want you kids to be screw ups!

One last thing,: bet you kids are good-looking. Boys, girls and robots are probably mad about you. Thank your momma for your good genes...but mostly your Dad. ;)


With love,

Gillian Mercado Cortez-(insert last name of your father)

No comments:

Post a Comment