Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Movie Review: The Hunger Games

Okay. It's been a looooong since I made a movie review. but anyways, I recently was able to catch one of the movies I was dying to see: THE HUNGER GAMES! :D


Okay. If you are not familiar with the books, let me tell you a summary of the plot: The story takes place during the post-apocalyptic era of America where it is now called Panem. Panem has 12 districts and every year, two tributes l from each of the districts are chosen from the reaping to fight till death in the  Hunger Games. Katniss Everdeen volunteers when her younger sister Prim was chosen as a girl Tribute. What Katniss doesn't know is as the story ensues, she will soon start a rebellion.

Okay. So I was able to catch the movie at Market! Market! Whatever you do, don't go there. EVER. Nice mall, but the theatre is just so mediocre, if not bad. I can tell they cut some parts in the movie(seriously. I know just cause) AND the showing schedule wasn't correct. Like, I bought the 3:00 PM tickets but the movie started mga 3:15 because they showed waaaay too much movie trailer(not like it's a bad thing but I'm very particular with time). One thing also is the absence of ushers inside the theatre. Liek seriously, this guy who sat two seats from me has this cellphone that kept ringing and he didn't even lower his voice when speaking in his cellphone. There's supposed to be an usher to avoid that asshole-ness of the dude. Seriously.

Anyways, back to the Movie. I had mixed feelings on the film. For something that earned so much at the box-office and something that is so hyped up, it falls a bit from my expectations. But it was a well-made movie, nonetheless.

Maybe I was kinda disappointed because I just expected it too be so much like the books. Like how Katniss got the Mockingjay pin. In the books, her friend Madge gave it to her but in the movie, there wasn't even a character of  her. And Prim's cat buttercup was black and white in the movie when in book reality, he's actually yellow(hence the name). Also, Cato is described in the books as monstrous with dark hair and bla bah blah but in the movie, he looks like a blonde male model na kontrabida(not that I'm complaining kasi it's Alexander Ludwig. Teeehee). But I do wish he dyed his hair dark brown.

Hellow, Catow na may buhok na yellow

The portrayal of the characters were a hit or miss for me. Jennifer Lawrence did great as Katniss but I wasn't fully sold on her(but what the heck. I can't do anything about it anyway). Josh Hutcherson definitely shut me up. Remember when I wanted Alexander Ludwig to play Peeta? Well, I love Josh but I doubted him as Peeta until I watched the movie. Gale Hawthorne(played by Liam Hemsworth), well, I don't LOVE him for the role but in some way, he's perfect because he has this silent rebel vibe.

What A bottle of hair dye could do

I think Woody Harrelson as Haymitch was the one that didn't fit the bill for me. I just imagined Haymitch to look more...dirty and a bit rugged and haggard. In the movie, he wasn't like that. Sure, he gets drunk but he still looks...immaculate. LOL. But Effie Trinket was the best. Elizabeth Banks had to fight for this role and I think it paid of: she executed Effie wonderfully.

"MANNERS!"

As a movie, it's actually good. Forget the complaints on them actually not following the book; they have to fit everything in 2 hours 20 minutes right? Some people I know complain that this movie is too "silent", as in there isn't that much background music. I don't know if that matters at all, but I didn't mind. Overall, entertaining movie that is kinda worth waiting for. So, have you watched The Hunger Games lately? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment